Lakeland Industries, a non profit organization, was established in 1981 in the building currently known as the Resource Centre. It was founded by a group of likeminded individuals in the community wanting to make a profound difference in enhancing Adults with disabilities. Over the course of the next 13 years Lakeland Industries had several expansions which has enabled the clients to increase their production capabilities.
They currently employ 10 staff and have 31 clients. Clients come from as far away as Kings Landing to the north and Andersonville to the south. Lakeland Industries also provide daily transportation to and from work for clients attending the workshop. Up to one load of pallets are manufactured daily for their principal customer, Marwood Industries. Clients also produce the stickers used to protect the wallboard manufactured by Certainteed Gypsum from damage during shipping. The clients’ strong production capabilities generate a substantial amount of income which is used to assist in the running of the organization. Some clients work for local businesses which adds to their employment, life and social skills.
In recent years Lakeland Industries added a comprehensive Resource Centre where they operate a food bank and thrift store with clothing and dry goods that serves low income families in the McAdam – Harvey area. The Thrift Store accepts donations from 9.00 a.m. – 3.00 p.m. Monday – Thursday and 9.00 a.m. – 11.30 a.m. Friday. Please call ahead for donations due to COVID-19. Masks must be worn when visiting Lakeland Shoppe. Shields are not to be used unless under a Doctors’ note.
Approximately 50 volunteers from the community assist Lakeland Industries either in the store, working on campaigns or on the board of directors. Lakeland Industries count on their dedicated, helpful, knowledgeable, professional and reliable employees and volunteers to help the organization grow and enable their clients to continue to participate to their full potential in their communities.
The Chief Operations Officer: Michael Perrin
|Monday – Thursday||8am – 4pm|
|Friday||8am – 12pm|
Lakeland Shoppe Hours
|Monday||1pm – 3pm|
|Tuesday||1pm – 3pm|
|Wednesday||1pm – 3pm|
|Thursday||1pm – 3pm|
6pm – 8pm
|Friday||1pm – 3pm|
|Tuesday – Thursday||10am – 12pm|
Lakeland Industries Mission Statement:
Our mission is to provide a safe, positive, socially stimulating, meaningful and productive place of employment for persons with developmental and/or physical challenges, and to provide ongoing, individualized life skills coaching and guidance so that our clients are able to reach their full potential and enjoy greater participation in meaningful and productive employment, and social and recreational activities in their community.
- All members of our community have a right to enjoy participation in meaningful, productive employment, and social and recreational activities in the community to the extent that they are able to do so, regardless of the developmental and/or physical challenges they face.
- All of our clients deserve to be treated with respect, dignity, compassion and understanding regardless of their physical or intellectual challenges, race, gender, religion, socio-economic status, ability, age or language.
- All of our clients have the right to receive the best possible support to assist them in achieving as much independence and the best quality of life possible given their unique, individual challenges.
- Developing, positive, ongoing partnerships with our community’s businesses, schools, community and public sector agencies is an important component to the ongoing success of Lakeland Industries, and in improving the quality of life and social well being of our clients.
- A significant portion of Lakeland Industries’ operating costs will be financed with the earnings generated from the products produced by our clients.